Thursday, August 1, 2013

It is Time to Start Blogging Again...

As a young adult, I feel lost. I feel like I should have a "college" educated job, which I get paid enough to afford a vehicle without going into debt. I want to explore and travel.  I want to have a job where I feel like I am doing something to benefit others instead of condescendingly telling customers our policies and terms.  I know that so many of us go to college, maybe, when we are not quite ready. I went to college because I was accepted into the greatest school located in Wisconsin - The University of Wisconsin-Madison.  I went because I wanted to be a college athlete; I wanted to succeed as a rower. I worked incredibly hard to be a rower. I told myself that I would never take myself too seriously and I would never think of myself as good, but only getting to be good.  I didn't realize that getting injured would be my downfall in a sport that I still cherish today. Rowing truly helped me overcome alot of my insecurities and it made me confident not only in my physical abilities, but also in my academic abilities.   With that confidence, I decided my final year of college to undertake a directed study with an acclaimed Native American Professor. I learned blue code book citing, and I learned how the law works, which is not clear to many who abide by the laws or to many who break laws. I found myself engaged in law and what the law offers.  After graduating, I set my heart on being something.  I wanted to go to law school.  I still do! However, I have a fear of debt. I have never been in debt, which is rare, for America is the most indebted country. Instead of studying for the LSAT directly out of college, I took a detour and landed in Colorado.  I met the love of my life, and he has been my biggest cheerleader. I decided to study for the LSAT, while having fun skiing in the Rockies, and scored high enough to get into the law schools that I wish to attend. Unfortunately, not high enough to receive funding.   I am now at a place in my life where I feel I have reached a crossroad.  For the past year, I have been working at a job, where I sit all day and stare at a computer screen while answering calls of customers, where half the time I insist that there are terms and conditions, and therefore I cannot assist them. I don't wake up excited to start the day, but rather sleep in trying to decide if I should get up.  I have never had a sick day at my job. I have only taken off work for travel.  So I am looking inward. Why do I live out in CO, away from family and friends? That answer is easy - to be with the man I love.  Why did I take my current job?  I wanted to have a "big girl" job. I thought this job was going to open an opportunity for a different job.  If I could do anything in CO what would I do? That is what is unclear.  If I am going to live in this gorgeous place, I need to revise my goals.  I need to choose happiness, regardless of what I think I should be doing.

Do you have a set of beliefs that are influenced by what you think others will think of you?  Perhaps you have parents who have achieved much in the career and academic world?
What would you do if you could do anything in the location where you currently reside?

No comments:

Post a Comment